Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sleep...Nap...why am I still tired?



I would say 5 out of 7 nights Lily is a great sleeper. She will mainly only wake up around 2-3 o'clock in the middle of the night, we will do a night feeding and she will normally fall back asleep while we are laying there. Then she will start to get restless about 6 o'clock or so, and then we are up for the day. When she takes her naps, normally I will try to get one in there with her but I know going back to work will end my daytime naps. Ha ha, but I guess I better get them in while I can.

So, I know every family is different and you have to do what is best for your situation, but I am a big fan/advocate of co-sleeping. Not in a co-sleeper, but in the bed with us. Being that we have a king size bed, this really isn't uncomfortable, even with Lily's sleeping positions. She sleeps with her arms straight out to the side of her and likes to take up as much room as she can. I know that when it comes time to put her in her crib, we might have issues... but that will be a while, at least while I am breast feeding. After talking with a lot of moms, reading a few articles, and getting the encouragement from my pediatrician, we decided it was best for our family. I love being able to open my eyes, see her there and know she is sleeping soundly while being within an arm's reach. But...maybe this is adding to my sleepiness too?

The one piece of advice that I wish I hadn't taken, was to get as much sleep prior to having Lily as I could. I would sleep for 10 hours a night, and over 12 hours on the weekends...so of course I was accustomed to this when she came! My advice for new moms is to start weening yourself to no more than 6-7 hours per night, a few weeks before you have the baby. (Not sure if that will work though!)

I look forward to the nights that will come when she sleeps through the night (when she is good and ready), however I know I will miss the times that she wakes me up by wanting to be fed, played with, or just cuddled. So for now, I will just enjoy being tired!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE sleeping baby pictures! They are so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still tired because it takes alot of energy to breastfeed and take care of a newborn! It wasn't until my 2nd that I allowed myself to realize that and give myself a break.

    We half co-sleep. Meaning she starts out in her bassinet and then she sleeps with us after her middle of the night feeding. I love it too!

    We did the same with Brady and he had no issues transitioning to his crib - in fact he slept a little better in his crib than he ever did with us. The trick is to do it before they realize the difference (like sometime before 6 months old).

    Don't worry, Miss Lily will be sleeping through the night before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guilty of letting Blake sleep with is too! He does half and half too though he starts in his bassinet. But I'm the one who doesn't want to put him up on his crib just yet :( but i think we will soon - he's just so snugly right now! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I am glad to know I am not the only one who loves snugly baby time. :)

    ReplyDelete